Monday, February 12, 2007

josh ritter, park west - chicago 2/11/07

Last night I saw Josh Ritter play a solo acoustic show at the Park West in Chicago. ***edit*** I attended the show with my über awesome concert buddy, James, Jim, and the late-arriving, but candy toting, Renee. ***edit*** It was a seated show, with the tables lined up cabaret style, angled towards the stage. Stephen Kellogg was the opener, and he played a lively set, without the usual backup of his band the Sixers.

The stage was set with empty picture frames hung on the back wall. A string of lights snaked across the floor creating a warm, glowing circle. An old end table with an antique lamp and a glass of whiskey waited for the troubadour to take the stage. The general effect was that of a theatrical parlour.


I didn't write down a setlist, because I was too busy enjoying the music. Well, that and taking pictures. If someone to ask me my favorite album of last year, I would reply without hesitation, Josh Ritter's The Animal Years. He is undeniably one of the best live performers I have ever seen, and quite possibly the best songwriter of our generation. He composes lyrics with a poets ear, and he exudes pure joy and gratitude every time he steps on stage.



rit006

rit007

rit008

rit009

rit010

rit012

rit016

rit017

rit018

rit021

More photos at my flickr page.

If you get the opportunity to see Josh live, definitely go see him. And if you don't yet own any of his albums, rush out and get those as well. And if you have the time after a show to say hi to him, do it. He is incredibly attentive to each and every person who takes their time to talk to him. Truly a beautiful person, and beautiful music.

No comments: