Tuesday, December 19, 2006

auld lang syne - my best of 2006

2006 is creaking to an end. It's been an interesting year for me, music-wise. I've probably been more involved in music this year than ever before. I attended SXSW in March, which was quite an adventure. It was a bit overwhelming for me, as a first time attendee. I hope to schedule myself better for it in the future. Did I say the future? Oh yes, I will be going back. Not in 2007. Maybe 2008.

I got to meet quite a few of my favorite singers this year, discovered some new music, increased my back catalogue of cds, designed promotional material for my favorite singer, gained some fantastic new concert buddies, and attended shows in five different states.

total new cds: 42. (19 new releases, 23 back catalogue)
total shows: 30+ (i can't recall all the sxsw shows.)
total artists i went fangirl on and took pictures with: 7

And because no year end wrap-up is complete without lists....my top 6 of 2006!!!!

Favorite songs:
1. Thin Blue Flame - Josh Ritter. This song is epic. Full of sweeping vistas, rumbling crescendos, and some of the most well-written lyrics I've ever heard. You can almost smell the fields and hay as he sings about them.
2. The Hole - Glen Phillips
3. Song for You - Alexi Murdoch
4. The Believer - Rhett Miller
5. Don't Want You to Wake Up - Teitur
6. Vampires in Blue Dresses - Margot & the Nuclear So and So's

Favorite lyrics:
1. "I got a girl in the war, Paul, her eyes are like champagne. They sparkle, bubble over, and in the morning all you got is the rain." Josh Ritter, Girl in the War.
2. "Her jaw aches from wanting and she's sick from chlorine" Neko Case, Margaret vs. Pauline
3. "Talking to you girl, is like long division." Rhett Miller, Singular Girl
4. "I'm trapped in the orbit of your rolling eyes." David Mead, Hard to Remember.
5. "I close my eyes to see if I can feel you in the air. I want to breathe you in me, it makes me dizzy, but there's nobody there." Glen Phillips, Marigolds
6. "Time is contagious, everybody's getting old." Damien Rice, Coconut Skins

Favorite concerts:
1. Glen Phillips - SXSW party bus, Austin. There's something incredible about hearing an artist sing without amplification, without a stage. Less than 20 people sat on a bus and just listened to him sing.
2. Dick Prall/David Berkeley house concert, Chicago.
3. Duran Duran - Sears Centre, Chicago.
4. Over the Rhine/Josh Ritter/Jamie Cullum - Paste Magazine SXSW Party, Austin.
5. Autumn Defense - Schubas, Chicago.
6. Tobias Froberg/Teitur - Double Door, Chicago.

Favorite new finds (artists I started listening to this year):<
1. Josh Ritter
2. Patty Hurst Shifter
3. Autumn Defense
4. David Mead
5. Margot & the Nuclear So and So's
6. David Ford

Favorite back catalogue pick-ups. (Okay. I admit it. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. But these are the cds I picked up this year that came out pre-2006 that I'm kicking myself for not buying sooner.)
1. Death Cab for Cutie - Plans. What a genius album.
2. Dick Prall - fizzlebuzzie
3. Leona Naess
4. Josh Rouse - Nashville
5. David Ford - I Sincerely Apologise for All the Trouble I've Caused
6. Josh Ritter - Hello Starling


Favorite New Releases:

1. Josh Ritter - The Animal Years. I knew within days of first hearing this album that it would be difficult for any other album to surpass it as my favorite of the year. It is not only the best album of this year, but one of the best albums I've heard this decade. The songs are lush and rich. Josh Ritter courts you gently at first, then pulls you in for a long slow dance. The music is masterful, and the lyrics are like a painter's vision inviting you into his world. Simply gorgeous.
2. Glen Phillips - Mr. Lemons
3. Teitur - Stay Under the Stars
4. Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
5. Alexi Murdoch - Time Without Consequence
6. David Mead - Tangerine

Music highlights:
1. Glen Phillips @ Schubas 5/21/06.
2. SXSW - Live Music all damn week. The dust bowl. Leaky vitamin water. Meeting dozens of amazing people.
3. Awesome new concert buddy James. He drives and brings the snacks.
4. Josh Ritter - so many memories linked to da Ritter. SXSW, Julie spitting on James, plus he was soooo cool to my kids. A special thank you to Erica for educating me on the importance of da Ritter.
5. David Berkeley & Dick Prall singing "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" while we all sang along.
6. Schubas in general. Sansone's socks, Julie being a cat, Autumn Defense, an explanation of Chodaboy, and the photo booth.

Here's to 2007 being just as random and amazing.

No comments: